I’m sure you have, at least once, dreamed of being a superhero. Unfortunately, we can’t all be born into the Wayne family fortune, control a vast corporation like Stark Industries, or hail from alien planets where money isn’t really an issue. Fortunately, there are still a few role models out there for broke geeks—so here are 5 of my favorite broke superheroes.
1. Peter Parker Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man, is a classic comic character in more ways than one. A quippy science nerd and underdog, he fulfills the positive fantasy of such a person (perhaps not dissimilar to the comic’s readers?) receiving super powers. Peter isn’t rolling in the dough – he’s an inner city New Yorker constantly struggling to make rent. And we can’t expect the aging Aunt May to bring home too much bacon, can we?
2. Kick-Ass Dave Lizewski a.k.a Kick-Ass, is also a struggling New York teen. His broke-ness particularly shows when he orders his costume on eBay, and unlike his cohorts Red Mist and Hit Girl, he doesn’t have any effective weaponry or high-tech gadgets to speak of. In fact, does he even have a car? Dave gets extra scrappy points for not technically having superpowers or formal training.
3. The Mystery Men It’s impossible to choose just one of the Mystery Men for this list, so they join the ranks as a super group. When the Shoveler, Blue Raja, and Mr. Furious meet at their usual diner for top secret super-plans, they bicker over splitting the bill. The Shoveler has a family to feed, Blue Raja lives at his mother’s house, and Furious literally works in a junkyard. Yikes. (By the way, did you know that the Mystery Men are not just from the 1999 film, but originally from the Flaming Carrot Comics series published by Dark Horse?)
4. Buffy Summers Did you know that being the Slayer doesn’t pay? Yeah, Buffy didn’t really think about that either. She may be the most badass vampire and demon hunter to ever grace the screen and the page, but that doesn’t stop her from having to pick up crummy jobs like working at a fast food restaurant. In the comics, Buffy still has to juggle the responsibilities of protecting the Earth from evil with paying the bills. And we thought working a 9-5 while making YouTube videos was hard.
5. Gambit Though the X-Men have access to fancy costumes, a jet, the Danger Room, and other cool toys at Xavier’s School for the Gifted and Talented, many of them come from humble backgrounds—such as fan-favorite Gambit, a.k.a. Remy LeBeau. Remy’s origins rival the Artful Dodger’s in brokedom, starting off as a pickpocket street orphan in New Orleans. Unlike the relatable underdogs above, Remy’s broke-ness took a more rogue-ish flavor, because hello ladies. Despite a dark past, Gambit became a key member of the X-Men.
Those are just a few of my favorite broke superheroes – what are yours? Chime in in the comments and don’t forget to tune into Caper (Wednesdays on Hulu, Hulu Plus, and Geek & Sundry), to see some more broke superheroes in action!
By Mia Resella. Folllow her on Twitter!