Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular This Week

Recent Posts

Home » Community Forums » Geek & Sundry Discussion
Tabletop Day 2014
  • mjr511mjr511
    PMPosts: 40Member
    I've probably missed it, but is there a date set for Tabletop Day 2014?  Keen to save the date for me and my friends to repeat last years epic day of beer and tabletop games :)

Mike
    youtube.com/ravenswingthog
    thoggy.blogspot.com
    @ravenswingthog
  • ZuffyZuffy
    PMPosts: 993Member, Moderator
    I've not seen one mentioned anywhere. Perhaps @ohcatrina will be able to give a better answer.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • MolokovMolokov
    PMPosts: 936Member, Moderator
    I think Wil mentioned ages ago that it will be the last Saturday in March.

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • RogueJediRogueJedi
    PMPosts: 5Member
    There is supposed to be an announcement soon. according to the twitter account.
  • ohcatrinaohcatrina
    PMPosts: 314Member, Administrator, Moderator
    Reconfirming that an announcement will come very, very soon! :) 
  • TableTopWizardTableTopWizard
    PMPosts: 367Member

Has anyone else checked out the new TableTop episode?  I get so frustrated playing that one!  You would be amazed how many times I have lost due to farms!!!  Damn You!!!!

That one WILL NOT be on my TableTop Day!!!  LOL

photo GSTTW_zps01c98256.jpg

G&S Game Night on Steam - Fridays @ 10:00PM ET (US Start)

Time And Relative Dimension In Space

Twitter Handle : TableTopWizard1
    XBox Live GT : KB Outlaw 78
    Steam Handle : TableTopWizard
  • MolokovMolokov
    I love Carcassonne! Such a simple game play mechanic and a lot of advanced strategy required in order to win :D Haven't played with the River before, so that is one we must try some time.

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Carcassonne is one of my top two favorite board games. We have it on the iPad & our phones so we can play it when we go out to dinner and I often set it to No Fields because they tip the game so heavily. Did watch the new TableTop episode - found it not as snappy as most but still entertaining.
  • mjr511mjr511
    PMPosts: 40Member
    Really enjoyed the TableTop episode, and I think Carcassonne is one that I'm going to have to get for the next TableTop Day!
    youtube.com/ravenswingthog
    thoggy.blogspot.com
    @ravenswingthog
  • MolokovMolokov
    The Android app for Carcassonne is pretty good and well designed. Not sure it would be good to play as a newbie as there doesn't seem to be a tutorial for new players to learn the rules, but if you know how to play, it's a decent pass-and-play or vs the computer game.

• jrtheoneandonlyjrtheoneandonly
    PMPosts: 11Member
    I second @Molokov the android app is pretty awesome for it. I actually go to game night every Thursday at the comic shop near my house but I have yet to play it I've only played it on my phone. 
    "Sometimes the only way to uphold justice...is to break the law."

Follow me: @TrulyJR
  • MJCMJC
    PMPosts: 86Member
    @Molokov I've only ever played with the River expansion as I believe it is included in the base game these days. However I've heard off a few people that it really improves the game by opening it up at the start.
    "Go forth and screw up" - motto of the New Vlogger Army

Previous finalist in the vlog search - see my science vlog on my YouTube channel: youtube.com/mconterio
  • loudmouthmanloudmouthman
    PMPosts: 9Member
    Okay Im adding to this thread which appears to have gone a little off topic <grin> ; so I have kicked around  a conversation over on google+ ( dont all hate me ) https://plus.google.com/+NikButler/posts/KsyoYqUwbhd  but for the benefit of those who dont even want to click .  

I kicked off with wanting to talk about what we could all start to do for the upcoming International Tabletop Day 2014 .  Now it will be announced and what I am wondering is how to make it a truly International Day . So here was my feedback and niggles for 2013 and somethings I plan to do in 2014. 

There is already an established Gaming Group for +BattleQuest Games  and they meet twice a month adding to this there is a monthly Demo Day focussed on attracting new games which has been very successful  in getting new families to try something more than Monopoly or Frustration.  We Focussed on telling the Gamers and the regulars and encouraging them to come and stop by. 

We had custom dice created for the day; everyone who stopped in for the day got a dice. I will be doing this again unless I can get some custom Meeples. 

We printed out and assembled the Wilw and Trophy stands to dot around the shop . 

We enabled one laptop and a webcam to broadcast on Google Hangouts live from the Shop for one of the tables. Dont forget that this year YouTube allows every user to broadcast  live from their Channel so this will be the next step for 2014. 

Luckily our Shop owner Andy did a great job getting some promotional stuff in for the day from Esdevium Games and I am hoping we might bring more to the table this year with some local game designers and producers. 

The Niggles : 

Being in the UK our events had begun several hours before the States and we felt a little left out of the conversations on the day. 

The signup process didnt feel like it offered anything exceptional to the work we had already done. We Broke the Map and we registered our attendance but there was zero follow up on that ( hey G&S can I help you with that this year ? ) 

For an International event we didnt feel connected to the other gamers internationally other than in our own actions. This year I am going to see about reaching out to the UK Games and to the European groups . 
    an usubtle collection of memes
  • MolokovMolokov

• ohcatrinaohcatrina
    ^^^ What @Molokov said! Come join us by being our VIP! 

We'll be announcing International TableTop Day this Sunday! I'm so excited - you guys have NO idea ow hard keeping things under wraps can be! 
  • BruceLGLBruceLGL
    PMPosts: 28Member
    Along the lines of what loudmouthman is saying, I really like the idea of this, but with almost all media/announcements only refering to the US is it hard not to feel excluded.

I'm not sure what the solution is, just putting this out there.
    @BruseLGL , thank you for that. I dont think they intend to lack in an international presence it may be that they dont feel they have the presence in each of the other time zones.  It would be cool if a few of us were to be invited Virtually.  Its also worth keeping in mind that with events like Essen, Gen Con , and Salute the nature of Boardgaming is very much international but the willingness to spend money to create ideas like this is still very much a Culturally American ideal.   

Anyway enough taking about what isnt lets share and plan what can be ; lets talk up plans and ideas , as I have above . Talk about what we want to do to make the events for our locations to be something that people remember and want to take part in the following years.
  • ohcatrinaohcatrina
    @loudmouthman What I can say is that the event will be quite loud (music in the background, cameras grabbing footage so that we can create a great video for everyone) so asking people to Skype with us would make it near impossible to hear them -- our announcement event will be rather small, but TableTopDay is going to be huge. 

I'm doing my best to bring more to our international audience very soon, so I wanted to thank you for giving us your support and of course, for playing more games. :) 
  • MolokovMolokov
    We'll definitely be running a Tabletop Day event here in Adelaide, Australia. Heck, our group has basically been running similar games days every few months since last Tabletop Day (next one is this weekend), so we're more than happy to be part of the international celebrations again.

@Molokov ; that will make your group and most of Australias the First into International Table Top day as the sunrise occurs ; I wonder if we could find a Boardgame that could be played internationally by every location ?something to be passed between time zones ? Technically LA and the Tabletop peeps will be the last to exit International Tabletop day which makes it ideal to wrap up on there.  So now we need some Japanese, Indian , African , German , French  venues to jump on and we might just make a chain of game. 
  • MolokovMolokov
    @loudmouthman We're actually thinking of having it on the Sunday because it's better for parking at our preferred potential venues, and that way we'd crossover with the tail end of the US celebrations.