Episode 88 was definitely one for the books; topping off at over 5 hours long, it seems like a marathon to watch the whole episode unless you’re sitting at home with nothing to do all day. If you’ve been with the team since the beginning, you may have no problem finding time getting through an episode without skipping a beat. However, if you’re new to Critical Role, a full 88 episodes can be daunting; let alone 88 episodes with an average time of 3 or more hours. We’ve come up with some ideas on curbing that Critical Role binge, which will hopefully make it a little easier to get into the groove with our favorite D&Ders.
So you want to start from the beginning: Awesome! The total time for all 88 episodes currently maxes out at 339 hours, 30 minutes, and 28 seconds. Or 14 days and change. So you know; if you don’t sleep and do nothing but watch Critical Role, you’ll be done in two weeks! Hurray! Oh wait…
Each new episode of Critical Role can be streamed live on the Geek & Sundry Twitch page and each episode posts on the Geek & Sundry page each Monday; and the average episode runtime is about 3 hours 51 minutes. This time can easily be made up during your downtime! 30 minutes for a lunch break? 45 minute commute? 30 minutes to make dinner? Spend a few hours cleaning the house? During the day, you can find a few hours of “downtime” whether actually watching the episode or simply listening to it.
If you just want to start at episode 88, check out this quick catch-up from the very first episode, which will introduce you to the characters and their adventure. However, you’ll be missing out on all the awesome quips and snark that occurs during each episode! (Note: Audio only. Imagery is disabled.)
Then, watch The Story of Vox Machina, including the stories of what happened before the stream.
Want to simply listen? The Twitch App does have an Audio Only playback option for the live episode. If you want to watch later, or want to watch on the Geek & Sundry YouTube page, you can simply leave the video open, but be aware that you’ll burn through more data this way.
Want to watch episodes featuring guest stars, such as Felicia Day, Patrick Rothfuss, Chris Hardwick and Wil Wheaton? Check out the list of episodes below for more details.
Want to just watch a certain story? Below is the entire story arc for Critical Role so you can pick and choose your series.
- Ep 1 – 16 Underdark: Tracking a missing paladin deep underground. Guest stars Dan Casey, Zac Eubank, and Ify Nwadiwe on episode 12.
- Ep 17 – 23 Vasselheim: Inadvertent law-breaking. A dragon & a demon. Cage fights. A journey on another plane of existence. Guest stars Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn, Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, and Will Friedle on episodes 18-21.
- Ep 24 – 38 Whitestone: Dealing with Percy’s tragic past. Darkest and creepiest story arc. Guest star Kit Buss on episode 25.
- Ep 39 – 46 Emon: Going home and finding new purpose in their lives. Guest stars Jason Charles Miller, Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn, Will Friedle, and Chris Hardwick on episodes 41, 43, 44, 46.
- Ep 47 – 56 Westruun: City under siege by goliaths and an ancient black dragon. Guest stars Chris Perkins and Patrick Rothfuss on episodes 55, 56.
- Ep 57 – 69 Vestiges: Power-ups fetch quest across multiple continents and two planes of existence.
- Ep 70 – 84 Conclave: Let’s gather up our allies and go kill some dragons, shall we? Guest stars Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn, Will Friedle, and Patrick Rothfuss on episodes 78, 81-84.
- Ep 85 – Current: Name TBD: Current arc. Who knows what Matt will cook up next!
Do you have a particular way that you binge watch Critical Role? Let us know in the comments!
Feature image credit: Critical Role Wiki
Blog image credits: Geek & Sundry, Critical Role YouTube page